Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I'm Yes Then I'm No: Why I Can't Make Up About Katy Perry

When Katy Perry first broke out on pop radio and MTV with "I Kissed a Girl," she instantly became a very popular topic of conversation among furious mothers and curious daughters.  She took everyone by surprise - most of all, Jill Sobule (you may need to google the reference).  When I first heard people talking about the song, I had to ask if it was a cover.  Everyone seemed kind of confused by the question.  "What's this about another song called 'I Kissed a Girl' and more importantly, how in the hell do you not know all about Katy Perry?" To me, Perry's first big hit sounded just like another over-the-top pop song about sexuality designed to evoke the standard contrived "controversy" that helps send a single to the top of the Billboard charts.

And just like with all of those other songs and artists, I took little notice.  But Katy just kept on coming back with more standard pop singles, a couple of which I actually kind of enjoy (with a hefty dose of guilt).  But what attracts me to Miss Perry isn't in the music.  She somehow balances the sweet and innocent girl-next-door from her Pro-Activ ads with the hyper-sexual "California Gurl."  She's managed to throw in a little bit of something for everyone:  some sex for the boys, catchy songs for the girls, and enough of a sweetheart smile to take the edge off for mom and dad.

I hadn't given her much thought at all until the recent Sesame Street "scandal."  Katy appeared in a musical segment with Elmo that was pulled from the show for being inappropriate, due to her wardrobe decisions.  Whether or not the piece was actually suitable for children is up to their parents, I suppose, or, that failing, the FCC and a handful of "watchdogs" that will bark at damn near anything so long as you pay attention to them.  I personally enjoyed the video quite a bit, but that doesn't mean that I wanted to.  It only made me even more torn.  I'm not much of a fan of the Katy that kissed a girl and liked it, but I can't help adoring the Katy that worries about breakouts and plays dress up with Elmo.  It's not that I really like Katy Perry.  She just makes it so damn hard not to.

3 comments:

  1. it really pisses me off when girls tell me that katy perry is hotter than russell brand. or when they say she's way more of a sexual deviant than he is. nothing could be further from the truth.

    ReplyDelete